Sunday, January 20, 2008

Pure Laziness?

I'll admit it: I can be lazy. Very lazy. Having sympathy pains, are you? Well, read on...

I've been a stay-at-home mom for a few months now. When my last day of work was approaching, I was filled with excitement, anticipation, and plans. BIG plans. Plans to completely organize my house, my minivan and my life. Here is a sampling of what I planned to do the moment I finished working in the office.

THE BIG LIST

1. Go through house - room-by-room - and purge, revive and organize. (Yeah. This hasn't happened.)

2. Sort through all bins of clothing in storage and all closets and dressers; decide whether to toss, donate or save. (Uh, neither has this. Oh, wait -- except for the boxes of maternity clothes that I let a coworker borrow. Which unfortunately contained my embarrassingly large stash of scary-big maternity underwear and nursing bras, which I had to hastily stash in my pockets after said coworker shyly mentioned the presence of said scary unmentionables. Ooops.)

3. Organize all of the billions of photographs strewn around the house. (Ditto #1 and #2. And I'm not kidding about the number of photos we have: My husband, Super Man, is a pretty good photog and already had millions of photos before we hooked up nearly 10 years ago. After eight years of marriage and one child together, the photos have started mating and multiplying exponentially. They are in our kitchen, dining room, office, living room, hallway and bedrooms, in boxes, envelopes, frames and just carelessly lying around. It's a mess. Really.)

4. Scrapbook, scrapbook, scrapbook! (See #3 - and numbers 1 and 2 above.)

5. Purge kitchen and pantry of all unhealthy foods, stock up on only those that are "good for us," learn to cook, and make world-class gourmet meals for dinner. Every night. (I think you can already guess how this one fared. Although I have been cooking most nights and I've been cooking quite healthy, all things considered.)

6. Start working out again and go to the gym at least three times per week. (I'll admit that this one fell through the cracks for, oh, the first four months of my being at home, but since New Year's, I've gotten back on the bandwagon and have been going to the gym at least three times per week. Honest.)

7. Send out pictures of my gorgeous little boy to area modeling agencies and finally get him into modeling. Super Boy has to earn his keep after all. Just because he's four is no excuse. (The photos - many, many, many of them - have been taken, but not a one has been sent off yet.)

8. Start a freelance writing career. (Sure, because it's just as easy as that.)

9. Finish the damn novel already! (It's been underway for about a year now, and I'm only halfway done. I've hit a writer's block, what can I say?)

Right. So, I'm sure that's not an exhaustive list by any means, but you get the drift. And in keeping with the title of this post, I can attribute my lack of industriousness to nothing more than sheer laziness.

You might be wondering, "How, then, are you spending your days?"

And my answer is simple: Sitting on my couch eating bonbons. All day long.

Kidding, kidding. That's not even remotely true. Well, not most of the time.

No, what I do with my days is clean, run errands, tackle much smaller organizing projects which, when finished, feel almost like I did nothing at all. I also workout in the mornings three days a week while Super Boy is at school (he's in half-day K4), and I occasionally meet up with a friend or friends for coffee, knitting, lunch or just hanging out. Surprisingly enough, those activities take up a scary amount of time!

I think back to the days when I was working full-time plus juggling parenthood, wifehood and homeownership duties, and I honestly have NO CLUE how I managed it all and kept it together. Granted, I had a cleaning woman back in the good ol' days, (but we were forced to part ways when I stopped bringing home a paycheck, damn that Super Man...) who kept the big house stuff largely under control. But, due to the simultaneous presence of Super Dog and Super Boy, it's not like I could just be lazy for the two whole weeks between her visits -- I actually had to still clean between "big" cleanings. But I feel as though my house looked better and my life was more structured and smooth-flowing before I started staying at home than it has been since I left work.

How is that possible?

I'll tell you: Because we're actually LIVING in our house more now than we were when both Super Man and I were working full-time and Super Boy was in daycare all day. It actually is harder to keep it clean and organized because we're here messing it up so much more. It's not right, but it is what it is.

So maybe I can squeak out of having to label myself completely and utterly lazy. But it still doesn't explain why I'm sitting here blogging when I could be going through those billions of photos or organizing my house room by room.

Huh...

No comments:

Post a Comment