Saturday, July 12, 2008

Aaaaggghh - I Broke My Toe!

Staggeringly stupid thing to do, I know. And totally could've been prevented if I hadn't been screwing around.

Super Boy and I were upstairs goofing around and playing tag, and as I sprinted down my hardwood floor hallway and went to turn into his bedroom, just my pinkie toe smacked the edge of his bedroom door, on the side where it's hinged to the doorframe (and, thus, highly immobile). White-hot pain shot up my foot and into my leg, and I was barely able to limp to his bed before I collapsed, grasping at my poor foot and barely able to breathe.

Super Man helped me limp downstairs, got me an ice pack and set me up on the couch, where I spent an hour and a half. The pain subsided as my toe became numb, and by the time I got up and started getting dinner ready, it wasn't feeling nearly as bad as it had been.

I was up and moving on it while I prepared dinner, did the dishes and cleaned up the kitchen after dinner, and then took a shower. By the time I was done, it was throbbing painfully and I ended up back on the couch with the ice pack.

What a stupid, stupid thing to do. And the worst part is that there's nothing anyone can do about it!

I called my friend Jenn, a RN, and she said that with toes (and especially the little toes), there's not much that can be done. They can't put a cast on it, so what they typically do is tell you to tape the injured toe to the toe next to it for stability and alignment, ice it, and take Tylenol/ibuprofen.

The only upside is that it's summer (and I'm not working), so at least I don't have to wear confining shoes! I can get away with wearing my usual Crocs or flip-flops. I just hope it heals relatively quickly. I certainly don't want to be hobbling for the precious few weeks of summer that we have left in our neck of the woods!

Lesson learned: Mom needs to stop screwing around!

No comments:

Post a Comment