Thursday, July 3, 2008

Java Junkie-in-Training

My lovely little Super Boy never ceases to amaze me. Just the other day, when we were gearing up to head out of town to visit my dad and stepmom, I said to Super Boy that I wanted to stop by Starbucks on our way out of town to grab a coffee for the road. Since he usually likes to grab an organic chocolate milk for himself at Starbucks, I asked if he wanted anything.

As his little five-year-old self hopped out of my minivan while holding my hand in his chunky little starfish of a hand, he looked up at me with a very serious look of contemplation and said, "Hmm... No - I don't really feel like having a milk box today."

"Oh, okay," I replied, a little surprised.

"Actually," he said (this is his new favorite word, by the way), "I think I'll just have a small [mumble-mumble]."

I hadn't heard what he said he wanted a small of, so I cocked my head to the side and said, "What, buddy? I didn't quite catch that."

He looked at me with supreme patience, as though I were the five-year-old, and said emphatically, "I SAID I'll just have a small coffee, Mom!"

I couldn't help it. I burst out laughing. He looked - and sounded - SO much like his father in that moment that it was just too funny!

Needless to say, I did NOT allow my son to order up a small coffee for himself (he settled for the chocolate milk box after all). And my husband - the epitome of the term "JAVA JUNKIE" - got a HUGE kick out of our little boy and his quest for coffee.

They grow up so fast, don't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment