Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Problem: Skin

I'll admit it: I'm one of those thirtysomething women who for some reason has been cursed with "problem skin." I inherited huge pores from both of my parents (I'm not kidding - you could spot these things from space!), very oily skin from both of my parents, and apparently ACNE from my dad. What fun!

Oh, sure, I had the occasional pimple in middle school, high school and college, but usually they were around my "time of the month," not an everyday occurrence. Unfortunately, Mother Nature decided it would be funny to afflict me with full-blown 24/7 adult acne since the birth of my son, oh, FIVE years ago.

I have tried darn near everything there is to try: Accutane, other Rx antibiotics (both topical and oral), Proactiv, Philosophy's "On a Clear Day" acne line, pretty much all the OTC acne face washes and treatments. None of them worked consistently and on an ongoing basis. Proactiv seemed to work quite well for awhile, but eventually my skin rebelled and it simply wasn't effective anymore.

I'd pretty much given up hope of ever getting rid of it. And then I walked into my local Outpost Natural Food Store, and there on the shelf in the "natural personal care" aisle, I found a simple little bar cleanser by Burt's Bees. Their Garden Tomato Complexion Soap.

I'll admit, I was skeptical. But since I've been paying about $50 every 2 months for the past 8 months for my Philosophy acne kit with only mixed results, and since my incredibly talented and sweet husband Super Man lost his job two weeks ago, I can't really justify spending $50 for something that isn't quite cutting the mustard anymore.

This little Burt's Bees tomato-scented gem cost a mere $7 and some cents. I've been using it for about a week now and I LOVE it. It cleans my skin beautifully without stripping it completely of natural oils, and I've only had two very small blemishes since I started using it. There is no multi-step system either: I just wash my face morning and night. Because it's not over-drying, I don't even need to use moisturizer. I'm seriously impressed!

Who knows if this will be the cure-all I was hoping for. But at least for now it's a great low-cost alternative to the high-cost things I've tried that have failed. I'll try to remember to check back in a few months to report on how it's working at that point, but I'm giving it a big thumbs up for now!

3 comments:

  1. I have major acne breakouts, so thatnks for the info.

    ~Tiffany~
    women-making-moves.blogspot.com
    @TiffanyWinbush

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had pretty bad acne for the past few years but I finally got rid of it by not washing my face so much.

    It might sound gross, but I only wash it like twice a week now. The other days I just rinse it with warm water and dry with a towel. I haven't had a serious breakout in months... just an occasional pimple. I'm amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should also try Burt's Bees Pore-Refining Mask. Tightens pores up like nobody's business. It is AMAZING. I am a total addict.

    ReplyDelete