Monday, October 13, 2008

Missing My Man

This is one of those "good news, bad news" things. More good than bad, certainly. But still...

GOOD NEWS: Super Man started his fabulous new job today. HOORAH!!!

He was super excited this morning as he went about his morning routine, and naturally a little nervous, too. I was so excited for him to be setting off on this new adventure, because I think this opportunity is going to be great for him, and for us. I hugged & kissed him, asked him to drive safely on his hour-long commute, and told him to knock 'em dead. Super Boy and I waved to him from the back bedroom as he went out to his Element, and blew him kisses with tears in our eyes. We're really very proud, and I mean that with all sincerity.

BAD NEWS: I miss my husband. I miss him a lot.

After three-and-a-half months of non-stop togetherness, I feel like I've had a limb removed not having him here with me now.

Oh, I'll be the first one to admit that the first few weeks of our unexpected togetherness were a little scary and fraught with irritation on both our parts: We weren't used to spending anywhere NEAR that much time together and then suddenly there we were, bumping into each other every time we turned around. I think we both wondered how we were going to manage to not kill each other before Super Man found a new job! But it was funny how all of a sudden one day we woke up and looked forward to our day together, all those hours stretching out ahead of us side by side.

When Super Boy started school, I think we were both curious to see how that would change things, since we'd be one man down from 8:30am - 3:20pm Monday through Friday. To our pleasant surprise, it was lovely. We'd drop our son off at school together most mornings, then maybe go get a coffee together at Starbucks (if we were feeling lucky), and then go to Home Depot, or come back home and putz around the house until it was time to pick Super Boy up again at the end of the school day. That's not to say we spent every minute of the day together, but at least we were near each other.

Super Man talked to me last week about how much he's treasured being able to do those little things that I have come to take for granted, being at home the past year. Things like taking our son to school and picking him up, running errands during the day, going for coffee at 8:45am without having to rush off somewhere. He was so much more relaxed, so much happier than I'd seen him in years. I think he finally understood why I love being a stay-at-home mom so much, and why I don't find it at all isolating or lonely.

I think he also realized over the past few months that his priorities had gotten way out of whack the past few years. With all the changes that had gone on at his old company, things there had become increasingly stressful and chaotic, and I knew he felt a lot of pressure and uncertainty about that. He was constantly on edge, not taking care of himself; the easy-going, happy guy I knew and loved was gradually being replaced by an irritable, stressed-out workaholic. Being downsized - while it came as a huge shock to Super Man - was the best thing that could've happened to him, and to us. And it was amazing how quickly he felt better and was back to himself in the aftermath.

I think he finally realized that his years spent killing himself to prove his worth were all for naught at a company where his loyalty and dedication had meant so little, as evidenced by the way his position was eliminated. It's one thing to go the extra mile for a company that cares about and appreciates its employees and demonstrates that in ways great and small; that's the sort of company I worked for before I became a stay-at-home mom, and that made it hard to leave. It's entirely another to knock yourself out for a company that doesn't value its employees or recognize the importance of having a good work-life balance. I believe, based on his new employer's reputation, that he has found a rare gem, like my old employer, and I think it will be easier for him to keep his life in a good balance. He's the hardest working person I know and so incredibly smart and talented; I want him to be appreciated and rewarded accordingly.

Anyway. I can't wait to hear how Super Man's day is going. Heck, I'm just excited to hear his voice again. And I'll be overjoyed to see him tonight.

What can I say? I love my husband. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment