Monday, November 17, 2008

beautiful

When I went upstairs to bed the other night, I peeked my head into Super Boy's room to check on him, and my eyes were met with the most beautiful sight: Super Boy had fallen asleep reading with a book still open in his hands. :)

To be specific, it was Super Boy's second most favorite book: a compilation of four stories of "Harold and the Purple Crayon."

Super Boy is just learning how to read, but he's progressing at a rate I find truly remarkable. He can read the ENTIRE book of "Go Away Big Green Monster" without any help, and is now starting to read "Harold."

As I may have mentioned at one point or another, I'm an avid and voracious reader. I can't get enough when it comes to books. And, according to my mom, I've been that way since I was even younger than Super Boy: My older sister taught me how to read when I was four, and from that point on, I'd carry home as many books from the school or local library as my little arms could carry.

As such, it warmed my heart thoroughly to see my little boy laying in his bed, asleep, with a book still in his hands. I hope that was the first of many times I will find him peacefully sleeping that way, dreaming of the people, places and events straight out of the pages of the books he loves.

This mom's heart is full today. :)

2 comments:

  1. Our Aldo won't go to sleep unless we let him sleep with his bedtime story book. He's not reading yet, but he has every book he owns memorized. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog from this mommy gig. I really appreciated your post there about your husband losing his job/cleaning out the house/TTC. You have an interesting and fresh perspective.

    I'm a reader too and I love that your son fell asleep with his book.

    ReplyDelete