Saturday, November 15, 2008

I missed out.

Ever look at people who are so incredibly talented and wonder "HOW do they do it?"

HOW do they conceive a great idea and then bring it into fruition? And HOW in the hell do they manage to make those great ideas into a career?

I swear, I missed out on that gene. I missed out on anything even resembling that gene.

I got to thinking about this (yet again) after attending a craft show this morning at which one of my girlfriends was selling the fabulous purses, wristlets, belts, scarves, and hats that she makes. I LOVE this friend's creations, and I can't seem to resist buying at least one or two things whenever she does a purse party or craft show. And I'm not even really a purse person - in fact, my oldest friends can vouch for the fact that I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to replace this crappy and cheap old wallet and purse I had late in high school that were literally falling apart because I'd had them for SO long.

Anyway, my friend sews. She creates. She sees something cool, researches how to make it herself and then just goes and DOES it.

My husband is the same way. He makes things out of concrete, wood, found objects. He does graphic design and makes cool logos, invitations, packaging. And it's effortless. Effortless! I don't get it!

I go onto www.etsy.com and browse at some of the amazing, cool, useful, fun things that people have made to sell, and I marvel at their creativity, their industriousness. I wonder how they learned how to work with metal, concrete, fabric, glass, paper. I wonder what their training and backgrounds are that they can take or paint such beautiful pictures, design such cool graphics on t-shirts or cards or prints. I wonder if they just innately felt comfortable at a sewing machine or if they slaved over it for years, hating it (as I do) until one day it suddenly became easy and made sense to them.

Most of all, I wonder what makes me so different from them. Different from my friend, from my husband, from the sellers on Etsy.

I don't really create anything. I don't sew. I don't paint. I don't make glass or metal or concrete. I see something cool and I want to do it, but I don't even know where to begin. So I just don't do it.

And I hate that about myself!

DID I miss some critical gene for creativity and industriousness?

Or... am I just lazy? (GASP!)

I'd hate to think it was the latter, but heck - it certainly could be, at least in part. Especially if I'm not one of those people who is just innately blessed with some nice creative talents, for whom creating things is "easy," but am instead one of those people for whom creating is only possible after much struggling, trial-and-error, frustration and major mistakes. I'm not proud of it, but in many areas of my life I like instant gratification, and I'll admit that I like to be naturally good at things. I find endless trial-and-error to be exhausting and rarely worth the effort.

And you know what? All of that would probably be FINE if I didn't long to create something beautiful and unique!

(big sigh)

Alright. Please excuse me while I go research sewing classes at my local fabric shop. Or glass- or metal-working classes at.... I don't even know where! Our local technical college? Maybe?

Eh, never mind. I'm tired. I'm going to bed!

(Whoops - there's that pesky possible laziness and my nasty instant gratification thing rearing its ugly head again...)

2 comments:

  1. I used to work at a sewing store where they do good intro to sewing classes, but it's a little on the old fart side (gasp... i'm totally in trouble for that!). I was lucky to grow up with a mom & dad who are crafting busybodies. Where'd you learn knitting? Maybe you have friends who sew? Even with the very, very basics you can really get yourself rolling! All you need is inspiration and a basic understanding of materials -- YOU CAN DO IT! Just go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have amazingly crafty friends. One of them has supported her family for the last ten years with her creative talents.

    I don't worry about it much. Maybe I am lazy or maybe I don't get as much thrill from projects as they do so it isn't worth it.

    Your strength it writing/reading.

    I figure that the creative types need me to buy stuff. ;)

    ReplyDelete