Monday, May 18, 2009

First Sleepover

Super Boy is growing up sooooo fast...

He had his first friend sleepover at our house this past Saturday night, one of his best friends, who happens to be the son of my best friend.

Super Boy was so excited about it, he could hardly wait for his friend to arrive. He kept saying, "Will he be here in 10 minutes, Mom?" and "Has it been 10 minutes yet?" The excitement was palpable.

When at last his Super Friend arrived, with jammies on and teeth brushed, the boys scrambled up to the guest room/playroom, got their sleeping bags spread out on the floor, and proceeded to play cowboys. That petered out in about 15 minutes, and then they popped in "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" and got settled in to watch the epic struggle between good and evil.

Super Man and I spent the evening downstairs in the living room catching up on the past few episodes - and season finale - of LOST (WOW!), and had to resist the urge to keep running upstairs to check on the boys. Shortly after 9pm, we heard their little feet on the stairs: They wanted a snack. Two granola bars and glasses of water later, they sprinted back upstairs to finish their movie.

When I sent Super Man up 20 minutes later to check on the boys, they were fast asleep. :)

I wasn't sure how Super Boy would do as far as staying in the play room the whole night. See, at a hair away from 6 years old, the boy still - STILL - crawls into bed with us during the night more often than not. I'm proud to say that he didn't budge from his sleeping bag the entire night. He was very proud of himself when I pointed that out!

The boys awoke early the next day, 6:45. I know this because Super Boy yelled from the other end of the house: "MOM? I'M DONE WITH MY SLEEPING BAG!"

I had been in a dead sleep. I bolted upright and croaked, "WHAT??"

"I'M DONE WITH MY SLEEPING BAG! CAN YOU COME GET IT?"

"NO! LEAVE IT THERE OR BRING IT IN HERE! MOM'S STILL SLEEPING!" (Yeah, right.)

[thump, thump, thump, thump, thump] Super Boy bolted down the hall to our bedroom and dumped his sleeping bag on my bed. "We're awake now, Mom, so I don't need my sleeping bag now."

"OK, honey. But, listen: Mommy still wants to sleep. So you two either need to be really quiet in the back room, or you need to go down to the living room. Daddy's downstairs already," I groaned, trying to settle back into my warm, fluffy pillow and will my body back to sleep.

"We're hungry. Can you get us breakfast?"

"No - Daddy can get you breakfast. Go. Shoo. Mom's sleeping." (I wish.)

Having completely woken up by then, sleep was no longer an option. Instead, I lay in bed listening to the boys' whispered conversation - and giggles - down the hall. This went on for a good 20 minutes. I smiled. A lot.

When the boys finally went downstairs, I gave up trying to sleep and went downstairs to make breakfast. Cinnamon rolls and bacon, per request. MMMMmmmm.

Super Boy's friend was picked up around 9:15. Super Boy wanted to go to their house for a sleepover that night.

Sunday night. A school night. :)

Methinks my almost-6-year-old is hooked on this sleepover business!

Heaven help us. And the parents of his friends... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment