Wednesday, May 6, 2009

An Update

I posted last week about having my first echocardiogram, and now I'm here to tell you the results.

Are you ready?

Are you sure?

Ok. Drumroll please...

drdrdrdrdrdrdrdrdrdrdrdrdrdrdrdrdrdr.....

The echo came back totally normal.

Very anticlimactic, yes?

This is ultimately good news, because I think they can now rule out a structural or mechanical problem with my heart, since the echo looked at the heart structures and evaluated the flow of blood through the chambers, etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell us why I'm having the fluttering heartbeats or the rare near-fainting episodes.

For that reason, and because my internist believes this is an electrical impulse problem in my heart muscle, she wants me to see a cardiologist/electrophysiologist for further evaluation. I've got an appointment with a very well-reputed doctor of this variety on May 21st. I'll be sure to post another update after I've seen him.

In any case, it doesn't appear that I'll be dropping dead from heart failure any moment now. This may disappoint some of you, but hopefully the rest of you are happy to hear it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment