Wednesday, August 26, 2009

mixed emotions

For the past two summers, I've struggled with the start of the new school year.

One part of me is terribly excited for Super Boy to embark on another fun adventure of learning, apart from me and life at home, where he's becoming his own person. He loves school, loves his classmates, has a passion for learning, and does just fine. I also enjoy having my days to do housework, run errands, meet friends for coffee, workout, and write.

The other part of me feels sad at the prospect of not having my little buddy with me all day everyday, and hates the coming-to-an-end of summer and losing the freedom of doing whatever we want with our days as we go back to having a set schedule for nine solid months.

Today was "Meet the Teacher" day at Super Boy's school. It went well. He didn't get the teacher he was hoping for, but the teacher he got is a fine teacher, nonetheless, and I'm sure he'll end up being very glad he is in this class once he's into the swing of things.

It's always strange to adjust to a new teacher and a new classroom though. For Super Boy and for me.

I'm trying something a little different this year as far as my involvement in school is concerned. For the past two years, I've been a co-room parent; this year, I opted not to sign up for that position. That said, I noticed as I was leaving this afternoon that no one had signed up yet, so I told the teacher that I was available to do it if need be, but I intentionally wanted to leave the opportunity open to other parents this year.

Instead, I signed up to help out in other ways in the classroom: helping with library time (which I also did in Sr. Kindergarten), bringing in supplies or treats for the class parties, etc.

I have mixed feelings about my approach for this year, because I really liked being a room parent, and I know Super Boy liked having me as a room parent and frequently seeing me in the classroom. It also seems like few parents really want to take on that responsibility, for whatever reasons. I guess I'm odd in that way. Part of me hopes that the teacher ended up having two other parents sign up for the spots, and yet another part of me hopes that he still needs someone to volunteer so I can continue doing something I've enjoyed.

Either way, the new school year is starting next week. Ready or not, here it comes!

Best wishes to all of your children as they embark on another year of learning!!

Super Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment