Saturday, January 29, 2011

37



So... Happy (belated) birthday to me!

Yes, peeps, I am 37 years old as of Saturday 1.29. Hooray!

My day started off sweetly: Super Boy stumbled to my room to wake me up as soon as he woke up and serenaded me with a beautiful, sleepy version of "Happy Birthday," followed by a big hug and an "I love you, Mom." Really, people: It doesn't get any better than that right there!

It seems so strange to me, being 37, because on the inside I still feel like I'm 17 most of the time. Of course, my body says otherwise, but my brain is still stuck in a permanent state of 1991-ness. And that's mostly a GOOD thing.

But, really, being 37 isn't so bad. In fact, it's not bad at all. I think this is going to be a GREAT year for me, because so much of what I've waited and longed for is finally coming to pass.

For starters, I'm pregnant! With a girl! And she's joining us in May! That right there makes this a spectacular year. I waited for her to come to me for so long, it sometimes felt like it was never going to happen. Now, we're just 15 short weeks away from meeting our daughter. It's a miracle, and a very happy one at that.

And then, related to that, there's the fact that the rest my life is no longer in limbo. Now we KNOW we are having a second child together, and I KNOW that I want to be home with her for a certain period of time, and when that time is over, I will be able to move forward with other aspects of my own life, at long last. For example, my career. I have no regrets about leaving the workforce to be at home with Super Boy, and I fully intend to be home with Super Baby Girl for a time, and then I will be able to focus more clearly and positively on what comes next for me professionally. Sure, I worry a little about what the impact will be of my multi-year absence from the workforce (particularly in the face of this soul-crushingly bad job market). But I still believe I've been where I needed to be and I'm okay with that. What really makes me happy is just knowing that my train is back on the tracks and heading in a clear direction once again rather than continuing to meander aimlessly on a wing and a prayer.

It's going to be a great year, too, because my sweet Super Boy is just such a HUGE helper to me at 7-going-on-8, and he makes my life so much richer, sweeter and simpler. He's going to be an awesome big brother, and is going to be my little right-hand man around the house. It's great having a child that age with a new little one entering the picture. He's really come into his own as a person and is just the bomb!

So, here's to 37, and to 365 days of happiness, blessings, joy and good health for us all. Happy Birthday to me!

SW

No comments:

Post a Comment